EAST LONDON BREWERY HISTORY
by the Brewery History Society
MAJOR BREWERIES (excerpts which include Hoare & Co)
Red Lion Brewery, Lower East Smithfield. Founded in 1492 as the Red Lion
Registered in November 1894 to acquire Hoare & Co
with 11 public houses.
The Red Lion Brewery was closed on June 23rd 1934. Hoare's
trademark, a toby jug, still forms part of the Bass Charrington trademark.
Hoare's themselves took over the following concerns:
Herbert Santer & Sons, Albion Brewery, Caledonian Road, Islington in
New Cross Brewery Co. Ltd, 26 Pomeroy Street. Originally registered as the
Hatcham Brewery Co. Ltd in 1888 to acquire the business of Charles Morgan
& Co. This concern was dissolved in 1892 and was succeeded by the South
Metropolitan Brewing & Bottling Co Ltd which was also short lived. A new
company, Burney's New Cross Brewery Ltd was registered in December 1898 and
was closed in 1905. Finally registered as above September 1905. Their public
houses only were acquired by Hoares.
City of London Brewery Co Ltd, Hour Glass Brewery, Upper Thames Street.
Founded by 1431 and was acquired by the Calvert family in 1759. Registered
in 1860 as above and was reconstructed as the New City of London Brewery
Co. Ltd in 1891 and was reverted to the original title in 1895. Due to increased
trade, brewing was transferred to the Swan Brewery Fulham in 1922 and the
Hour Glass Brewery was used as a warehouse. Brewing continued
at Fulham until 1926 when many public houses were sold to Hoare &
Co. Ltd. In 1919 Nalder & Collyer's Brewery Co
Ltd of Croydon was acquired. The majority of the Nalder & Collyer tied
houses were sold to Ind Coope Ltd in 1936. The Hour Glass Brewery was destroyed
in an air raid. The final connection with the brewing trade ended in 1968
with the sale of 20 public houses to Allied Breweries, but the company is
still in existence as an investment trust.